Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thing #12:
Roll your own search tool with Rollyo

I rolled a search on Rollyo called Jill's Animal Search, made up of animal-related sites from our Internet On-Ramp page and ALA's Great Web Sites for Kids.

Powered by Rollyo
At first, I was very excited about Rollyo, but now that I've played with it, I'm a little disappointed by its limitations. I thought I would be able to create a true federated search, but Rollyo doesn't seem to be able to search any search engines or databases, only flat websites. Furthermore, it seems to search the entire domain of any web address you give it. For example, if I asked it to search "http://kids.nationalgeographic.com," it searched everything on "http://nationalgeographic.com," not just the kids' site. So my search results, which were supposed to be drawing from sources appropriate for kids, were full of stuff for adults. These are serious drawbacks. Phooey.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Have you tried Google Custom Search? Again, it only searches HTML, but at least you can restrict the search to kids.nationalgeographic.com rather than the whole domain.

But it doesn't search databases. :-(