Thursday, September 6, 2007

Thing #16 Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them

I like wikis a lot. Also, I just like to say "wiki." Wiki wiki wiki! It's a fun word. Ever since I was introduced to PBwiki back at the beginning of the year, I've been a wiki maniac. I have a personal wiki, a cooking wiki, and a private password-protected wiki that I use with friends and family for event and travel planning. The Library's new TAGs (Teen Advisory Groups) will be using a wiki site for their book reviews, and I'm in the process of replacing my church's website with a wiki.

When I was getting ready for my trip-of-a-lifetime to New Zealand this past spring, my travel buddy, our hosts, and I used a wiki to keep our collective lists of potential things-to-do and places-to-see, along with the itinerary details as they developed. I put up the airline information when I booked the flights, and my buddy added the hotels and hostels as she booked our accommodations, etc. It worked like a dream!

How to use wikis in libraries? Many excellent uses have already been demonstrated. The most obvious use is probably the pathfinder/reading list/book review wikis that are becoming quite common. Event planning and project collaboration work well on wikis, too. Creating a wiki of information and resources for a special-interest group and then opening it up to editing by members of that group is a powerful way to enrich content and build community. I'd like to replace our librarian-created (and very small) Homeschoolers' web page with a wiki that our homeschooling customers could use to share resources and ideas with one another.

No comments: