Monday, July 23, 2007

Thing #8:
RSS Feeds & Bloglines

I set up a Bloglines account per the instructions for this Thing, even though I already use Google Reader AND the feeds feature of Safari on my Mac at home. I doubt I'll keep Bloglines after these 23 Things are done, 'cause isn't the whole point of a feeds to reduce the number of sites you check every day?

I already use and like feeds, very much. I really foresee their use exploding as more people become aware of them, they get easier to use, and more sites and services start generating them. I am reliably informed, for example, that our own EBSCOhost databases support custom feeds. I intend to check this out shortly- imagine setting up a complex search on (for example) Masterfile Premiere, converting that search to a feed, and thenceforward have anything new that meets your criteria, and that's published in any of the umpteen zillion periodicals indexed by the database, automatically delivered? Wow. For infogeeks like me, this is approaching Nirvana. In fact, I can't stand it any longer. I'm going to go over to the Databases page and check this out right now. Update(s) to follow.

No comments: